Start a conversation with someone about pest control and immediately most would refer to rat catchers! In contrast, the UK market size for pest control continues to grow with an estimated value of over £400m per annum. It does include rats and mice, but it also includes many other areas which many people wouldn’t think about.
There are many business owners that have some kind of professional pest control contract in place. Allowing trained experts to handle pest control will make sure you are providing a safe and healthy environment for your staff and customers and that your business reputation stays intact.
Talk to any business that has experienced a pest problem and they will know the damaging effect that pests such as rats, mice, bed bugs, cockroaches can have. However, with a commercial pest control contract in place, you can rest assure that you are protected from all the problems pests may cause.
At Abate Pest Management we will set up a bespoke contract specifically for your location or locations. Before we set up any new premises, we carry out an environmental risk assessment of the surrounding land to ensure we do not affect other wildlife and all part of the setting up procedure.
Management Pest Control System
We follow a Management Pest Control System for all our clients. It doesn’t matter on the size of the client, but it will vary on the type, such as a BRC audited food factory, organic site etc.
At each site we will install a Service Report Pack to the premises that will be kept at a designated location. This Service Report Pack includes the service agreement, our certifications and accreditations, site & floor plans, treatment reports and recommendations, audits, pesticide data sheets and contacts.
For our Advance Service customers, we offer an online service for web-based reporting.
On each planned routine inspection (which is an agreed number of visits per year), emergency treatment and audit the following is carried out:
- We Identify and report evidence of any pest infestation.
- We take necessary action to eliminate any pest problem identified.
- At the time of inspection, any issues identified or action to be taken will be discussed with the client.
- Emergency callouts are generally dealt with within 24 hours, but some contracts can have specific call out times.
- Any remedial follow-up treatment against rodents will be carried out until under control and to any other requirements if necessary.
- Pesticide usage forms detailing the amount and location of any pesticide used on site are completed.
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) information on all materials used will be supplied for the Service Report Pack.
- Guidance on all matters relating to pest prevention and hygiene will be available.
A full risk assessment of the proposed works will be carried out and a copy of the report kept in each Service Pack and a copy at our office. It is updated on occasions when conditions change on your premises. We also maintain information within our Service System.
In the UK there is legislation concerning the responsibility of property and business owners with regards to pest control. Having pest control is not the law, but there are certain acts which you should know.
If your business is in the food chain, you will need to follow very stringent pest control practices for health, safety and hygiene. However, all businesses and employers have a duty of care about protecting its workforce from pests and the hazards posed by pest infestation in the workplace.
Here are some of the acts and what they mean to you:
The Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949.
This act often relates to the presence of pests either on land or within a building that are affecting other properties. The act enables Local Authorities to take enforcement action to eradicate pests. This act also includes commercial businesses which manufacture, store and transport foodstuffs as contamination by pests has serious health risks.
Food Safety Act 1990
Under this act, businesses must ensure that the food they sell is safe to the health of the people consuming it. The act outlines the need for business owners to take due diligence – by employing a professional pest controller to monitor and deal with infestations in a timely manner, helps you in meeting the obligations laid out in the act.
Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995
These regulations are aimed at food proprietors and cover the basic rules that state you should make sure all food is supplied in a hygienic way, all food safety hazards such as rats and mice are identified and that you know the critical activities for food safety and that safety controls are in place.
A regular pest monitoring contract can assist you meet your obligations to these regulations and provide you with constant security from rodent or insect infestation.
Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
All employers must take necessary measures to secure the health, safety and welfare of their employees and visiting contractors. This would include making areas safe and clean.
We get called to manage projects for bird control where birds become an issue attacking staff and contractors or bird droppings causing issues on vehicles, let alone the diseases that can be spread if not properly managed.
Can we assist?
We offer discreet assistance with pest-related problems to businesses at very competitive rates. We offer treatments and rolling contracts which are tailored to your needs. Our contracts provide businesses with any necessary treatments, regular inspections and free call outs should you need us between your visits.
We have vast knowledge and experience in this industry and feel we are best placed to advise on all matters relating to pests and are here to support and protect your home or business from damage, loss of business and concerned staff.
9 reasons why you should use Abate Pest Management Services
- All our technicians are professionally trained to industry standards and are DBS checked
- We abide by the British Pest Control Associations strict industry Codes of Best Practice
- We have £10 million public and products liability insurance
- We have gained the ISO 9001 Quality Standard for our UK pest control service operations
- We have ISO 14001 which is the international standard that specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system
- We have OHSAS 18001, Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series which is a British Standard for occupational health and safety management systems. This means we can demonstrate that they have a system in place for occupational health and safety
- We are CHAS accredited and a SafeContractor – Putting health and safety competence first
- We protect staff, customers and members of the public through risk and COSHH assessments
- We won at the British Pest Management Awards – Small Company of the Year 2019.
We offer a no obligation report and survey to assist you with your pest control needs so please get in touch if we can help you via the website or by calling us on 0800 980 9767.